Preventing Complications With Proper Care After LASIK
Eye care after laser vision correction is crucial in ensuring the success of your surgery. Complications can occur with LASIK but are lessened with proper care before, during, and after the procedure. One of the most important aspects comes just hours after the surgery. It is recommended to rest for a minimum of four hours after surgery. Take a nap and rest your eyes. Some patients choose to wear protective eye shields.
Eye shields are recommended to use when sleeping for the first few days after surgery to prevent unnecessary rubbing from occurring. It is crucial to prevent any eye-rubbing while your eyes are healing after laser surgery. It is important not to rush recovery which is easy to do since most patients experience a return in eyesight quite quickly.
Post LASIK care has a great deal of importance, it is as important as the surgery itself. In order to receive the most out of your LASIK experience follow the tips below.
- Plan Follow-Up Appointments: Appointments will be scheduled to follow up with your eye doctor/surgeon during the first three months after the surgical procedure. After this time period annual eye exams are necessary to ensure the health of your eyes.
- Follow Your Doctor’s Orders: Along with keeping follow up appointments with your LASIK surgeon it is imperative to schedule appointments with your primary eye doctor, ophthalmologist to keep up on changes in your vision. Annual eyes exams allow future issues to be caught quickly and immediately.
LASIK Healing Timeline
- The First Week: Rest your eyes. Use prescribed eye drops to prevent dry eyes, infection, and inflammation. If you experience any issues, big or small, immediately call your LASIK surgeon.
- Months After: Continue to follow up with your eye doctor and report changes that occur during the healing process. Monitoring the health, comfort, and vison changes of your eyes is necessary for preventing complications.
Returning to Normal After LASIK
For many patients they will return to work within a day or two of the LASIK procedure. The restrictions below are a guide to follow until you are feeling ready to return to normal activities.
- Don’t drive until your LASIK eye surgeon says your vision has returned. This normally occurs within a day or two.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes all the time but especially the first week after LASIK.
- Use restraint in reading and computer usage for the first days after your procedure.
- Makeup should not be worn for at least a week after laser vision correction surgery.
- As stated above do not rub your eyes for at least once a month after LASIK.
- Exercise should be avoided for at least once a week. Contact sports should be avoided for a month.
- Patients should avoid swimming, hot tubs, or whirlpools for a week after LASIK surgery.
- Prevent dust and dirty environment to help eliminate the risk of getting something in your eye while your eye heals.
Rohr Eye & Laser Center offers the most advanced technology available to suit your lifestyle and visual needs. As a leader in laser vision correction and cataract surgery, our goal is to help you achieve the best vision possible without glasses or contact lenses. More information can be found online at https://michiganlasik.com.