LASIK: A Popular Laser Eye Surgery MethodBenefits of LASIK
LASIK is a widely practiced method of laser eye surgery. Vision is improved using laser vision correction techniques like LASIK through a reshaping of the tissue underneath the top later of the eye.
It is often hard to really describe what LASIK is and what is involved without using a lot of technical mumbo jumbo. The jest of it boils down to the fact that when vision needs correcting and a surgical option is sought, whether we are correcting nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatisms, a procedure using a refractive laser is performed to restore proper vision in the eye. LASIK is the most popular and most widely accepted surgical method used in treating refractive errors and is done by reshaping the cornea in a manner that allows light to focus properly.
LASIK surgeons create a flap near the front of the eye that exposes the inner layers of tissue on the cornea to allow the laser to shape the cornea. This is done by removing exposed tissue that is preventing the light to focus as need be. The surgery is completed when the surgeon seals up the eye by closing the flap. The eye is given time to heal and vision often returns to near perfect within a matter of twenty-four hours.
Benefits of LASIK
- Experience: LASIK is a form of laser vision correction that has been in place form more than twenty years. Surgeons have been performing this procedure for many years and are very experienced correcting several defects within the cornea of the eye.
- Recovery: The recovery process is unlike any other. Your vision starts to become clearer within just a couple hours of surgery. What other surgical procedure of this nature do you see drastic results like this?
- Obtainability: LASIK is a very popular procedure and performed across the state of Michigan. Rohr Eye & Laser Center sees patients from all around the area. It is safe to say that almost every office offering laser vision correction offers LASIK as an available procedure.
Possible Side Effects
All surgeries have the potential for side effects and LASIK is no different, although highly rare. Possible side effects can include:
- Flap Complications: In order to reach the cornea a flap is made in the outer layer of the eye. Side effects to the flap specifically can include infection, inflammation, and dislocation. The flap is intended to adhere back into location right after surgery however is it doesn’t seal back together with the corneal tissue, issues can arise. The flap rests on the eye so there is opportunity present for it to dislodge during healing. Therefore, it is recommended to lay low and avoid any contact sports or intense activities during the healing process.
- Dry Eye: Dry eyes can occur after laser vision correction surgery. Nerves in the eye are cut during the procedure which can reduce the sensation to blink. When a person doesn’t blink often enough it will not stay as lubricated as it needs to. Although uncomfortable, dry eyes will often improve quickly.
LASIK is one of many laser vision correction methods performed at Rohr Eye and Laser Center. For a detailed, FREE consultation call the office to schedule a time to meet with our dedicated team.
Rohr Eye & Laser Center offers the most advanced technology available to suit your lifestyle and visual needs. As a leader in laser vision correction and cataract surgery, our goal is to help you achieve the best vision possible without glasses or contact lenses. More information can be found online at https://michiganlasik.com.